The market photo workshop in partnership with the Tierney Family Foundation realise the importance of creating opportunities for photographers to cultivate the development of photographers and photography as a medium. The Tierney Fellowship creates an ideal space for a photographer to develop such a body of work.
The Fellowship will provide the successful applicant with the financial support necessary to research and produce a body of photographic work, in consultation with a mentor, over the period of a year.
Fellowship Benefits and Outcome(s)
Subject to certain conditions, the mentorship entails:
· R30,000 to produce the body of work that the recipient proposes to do. The R30,000 covers costs related to research, travel, and other supplies
· Based on availability of funds, the mentorship can be extended to an exhibition and a publication of the produced body of work should the work merit such.
2008 – Tracey Edser
2009 – Simangele Kalisa
2010 – Thabiso Sekgala
2011 – Mack Magagane
2012 – Lebohang Kganye
for more info on previous projects click here.
· The mentorship will be awarded to applicants who are resident in Southern Africa
· The residency is open to all students of the Market Photo Workshop
· The residency is open to alumni who have studied at the Market Photo Workshop since 2003
· Needy financial background or previously disadvantaged individuals and women students and alumni are especially encouraged to apply
· Applicants must not have produced a solo exhibition before
· Applicants must be able to travel to Johannesburg for initial meetings
· Applicants must not be older than 35 years of age at time of application
Applicants must submit the following:
A 2 pages Project Proposal using the following headings:
Why I have chosen this concept
What I wish to accomplish with this work
Why this opportunity is significant for me
What I think the photographs will look like
· A comprehensive CV
An existing portfolio of 12-20 photographs (Jpeg files, no more that 5MB). The portfolio must be from a body of work or maximum 2 bodies of work. The portfolio should demonstrate the applicant’s ability to produce comprehensive photographic work and evidence of research experience must be present in the work.
Selection of a candidate
• A panel of judges appointed by the Market Photo Workshop, including panellists from The Tierney Family Foundation, will participate in the selection process.
• Shortlisted candidates have to be available for an interview soon thereafter.
• Judges need to be satisfied that the chosen project proposal has merit; that the candidate will be able to manage the project, and that he/ she is likely to derive lasting benefits from the mentorship. The Market Photo Workshop retains the right to request applicants to edit proposals.
Applications close on Friday 3 May 2013 at 12h00
A briefing session on further information about the fellowship and application requirements will be held on Monday 22 April at 13h00 at the Market Photo Workshop.
All applications must be submitted by email to email@example.com and copied to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applicants are encouraged to contact Bekie Ntini on +27 11 834 1444 with any queries.
For more information on the Fellowship and project partners visit www.tierneyfellowship.org and also www.marketphotoworkshop.co.za
Please note that only short listed candidates will be contacted.